The benefits are eternal for those who are willing to get out of their comfort zones. As they are stretched they will likely experience significant spiritual growth while making an eternal investment in the people they are going to minister to. Short term teams can usually be of any size but most are from 3 to 15 people. We believe that a smaller team of 3 to 8 is usually best. The length of the trip is really up to you. If you are coming from the U.S. the flight will be for about 4 hours whether you’re flying out of Houston or Atlanta. There is no direct flight to Managua, Nicaragua from Dallas.
Your place of departure will depend on where you are from in the U.S. but we have found that flying United Airlines from Houston or Delta from Atlanta are the most common routes. Your trip through the air will look like this:
- Your hometown airport to Atlanta or Houston
- Atlanta or Houston to Managua, Nicaragua
We prefer to let you purchase your own airfare. But we are willing to help you with that in any way we can. We have found that round trip tickets can cost anywhere from $700 to $2,000 per person. It usually depends on what time of the year you are flying and how far in advance you purchase the tickets Be sure and check out the Ministry Opportunities page and Activities page for a list of opportunities for you and your team to do while on your trip. We are all gifted and have ways we can bless others. And just because something is not on the list doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Just ask. We are willing to do “whatever it takes” to see lives changed and the Great Commission fulfilled.
- Journal/notebook/pen/pencils/pencil sharpener
- Clothing – Shirts, blouses, conservative T-shirts/tank tops/tunics, skirt, shorts, beach cover up, modest bathing suit, sun dresses, under garments, socks, hat with brim, light sweater/sweatshirt, one only).
- Shoes – Tennis shoes (one pair), work boots (optional), sandals/slides, shower shoes
- Bedding – Set of twin sheets (can take back home), self-inflating mattress (not required), and one SMALL pillow only.
- Toiletries – General toiletries (unscented please, scent attracts bugs and can aggravate allergies), soap/detergent, shampoo, small beach towel and 2 face cloths, SUN BLOCK (SPF 30+), INSECT REPELLANT (needs to have a high percentage of deet to be effective), wet naps (a must), hand sanitizer, hair elastics, barrettes.
- Hand held fan
- Headlamp or flash light
- Small personal music devices (for on the plane or to drown out noise while sleeping)
- Reading material
- WATER BOTTLE (a must!)
- Camera/film/memory card/extra batteries/charger
- Batteries for any electronic devices (e.g. 9v, AA, AAA)
- Waist pouch/small day pack/back pack
- Phrase book/language dictionary
- Prescription medication/glasses/sunglasses
- Passport/important documents
- Earplugs/travel clock/small mirror
- Breakfast bars/granola bars, dried fruit, crackers, juice crystals, candy, cookies
- Handbook for Willing To Go, Inc.